List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Working on KDE3 or KDE4?
From:       "Robert Knight" <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-06-23 2:52:01

> Ultimately my question still exists, should I attempt to squash bugs on KDE 3
> or 4?  Sorry about my persistence.

On the one hand, lots of existing users will appreciate bug fixes in
their KDE 3 setup.  On the other, meeting the currently planned
October deadline for KDE 4 is a tough schedule and so extra hands on
deck are really appreciated.

James comments above about a bug in KDE 4 being "here today, gone next
week" might be true, but if you are the one who fixes a particular
bug, then it saves someone else from having to do it.  Your
contribution will be appreciated either way.

The changes from Qt 3 to Qt 4 are quite dramatic in places, so if you
are thinking about doing bug fixing with a view to learning enough to
write new features and possibly even applications, which is a sensible
approach, then KDE 4 is the better way to go.