List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: error building kdebase svn release  669956
From:       Zé <mmodem00 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-06-08 3:47:13

Em Sexta, 8 de Junho de 2007, Andreas Pakulat escreveu:
> On 07.06.07 23:05:43, Zé wrote:
> > I understand, but so far i never had any problem building with unsermake,
> > but i package kde, and when reaches the part to start the build in spec i
> > have this:
> > unsermake  %_smp_mflags
> >
> > the macro %_smp_mflags will appear depending the machine cpu's numbers,
> > so in case only have 2 cpu, appears:
> > unsermake -j2
> >
> > but now i ask, if with '%make' the builds goes fine, so it also should go
> > fine with 'unsermake  %_smp_mflags', but as i posted, it gives error, so
> > my conclusion is that the source code needs to be fixed so i can continue
> > using 'unsermake  %_smp_mflags' like i always did
>
> Wrong. unsermake is an experimental tool and even states so when you run
> it, so if it breaks with unsermake but not make, then unsermake is
> broken.
>
> > and not now come with some
> > workaround like the one from the links you posted above, in wich i would
> > to have:
> > unsermake --compile-jobs=2
> >
> > but here this is for machines with 2 cpus, and now i ask, where is a rpm
> > macro to handle --compile-jobs for machines dual core or not?
>
> I think you should ask this on an rpm users list.
This can also be easily achived with:
unsermake --compile-jobs=`getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN`

> > The correct would be to simply fix the source code regarding whats in
> > ~kdelibs/doc/kspell/
> >
> > so that i could continue using what i always used to build all kde
> > modules.
>
> As far as I understood the code is fine, the problem is the buildsystem
> and that can't be fixed by us because autotools is just broken by
> default >;>
I disagree when you say the code is fine, if the code was really correct,
should also build correctly with unsermake -j2 like always happened.

Appears that builds with the workaround you said but that is only a
workaround, and  having --compile-jobs=N is not the same as --jobs=N, so who
did that last changes in dir ~kdelibs/doc/ maybe should also take in
consideration unsermake and not just make, since unsermake was specially made
by kde developers so that kde could have a faster build.

The restant kde modules build with unsermake -j2, except kdebase.

Of course this is just my 2 cents but i hope that this discussion can
contribute in some way :)

regards,
--
Zé