List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch: Idea for saving power on laptops
From:       Sascha Hlusiak <saschahlusiak () arcor ! de>
Date:       2007-05-18 22:12:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

> The OS does not know anything about the X server and therefore does not
> know which windows (processes) the user interacts with. Furthermore if
> there is processing power available it will just give it to any process
> asking for it. And while I realise that the misbehaving applications
> (firefox and konqi should probably stop scripts and plugins running on
> pages in inactive tabs) should just be fixed, it is however a nice
> workaround for something which annoyed me for months.
Here is your workaround until applications are more power-consuming aware:

Start firefox etc. in a terminal. Press Ctrl+Z to suspend it. And enter 'fg'
to resume it. While suspended the window content will not be repainted
anymore and it will make kwin think the program is not reacting anymore.

Guess what: Opera and Firefox are crashing after having them suspended.
Firefox does not tell anything, opera quits with following message:

sascha@DeepThought ~ $ fg
opera
opera: Plug-in 20215 is not responding. It will be closed.
opera: Define environment variable OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN to keep blocked
plug-ins.

- Sascha