List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch: Idea for saving power on laptops
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2007-05-18 21:53:48

(that was meant for the list actually - I sent it as a private mail to Matt)

On May 18, 2007, at 6:15 PM, Matt Newell wrote:

> If the option is off by default and only enabled on a per-
> application basis,
> then there wouldn't be any problem with it happening accidently to
> kdevelop
> or eclipse.

Again : how do you explain this to the normal user ?

And just for the sake of it : don't you think we have too many
options already ?

> It could be argued that the application should be fixed to use less
> CPU when
> minimized,

Indeed it could. And, for instance, the fact that it doesn't draw
anything anymore when minimized won't make a difference, now will it ?

> but in the meantime a simple to implement and activate feature
> that is properly presented to the user could be very usefull.  Your
> reasons
> for rejecting the idea don't seem very well thought out to me.

- we already have *way* too many options

- you're trying to expose to a user a concept only developers
understand and have any use for

- you'll be creating a usability nightmare because toggling this
option is not a straightforward decision, and mistakes will be costly

The problem : bad web pages hogging CPU because konq can't handle
them properly.
Your solution : introduce the user to some Unix System Programming
basics.

Actually I can't even think of one application where this option can
be safely applied. konsole ? no way. Konq ? What if it's doing
downloads or file operations elsewhere ? Any network-connected app
are out. KOffice ? Forget background autosave.

Oh, and that would also mean that when logging out, all apps would
first have to be maximised, otherwise they won't answer to the dcop
commands.

--
Guillaume
http://telegraph-road.org