List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Google SoC Project Idea: Kate Feature Extension
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-03-02 18:53:07

On 02.03.07 13:32:23, Vic Fryzel wrote:
> That's true.  But I'd prefer Kate to be a small IDE.

Thats why I didn't post something like: Improve kdevelop, I do
understand that some people find an editor + manual projectmanagement
better than a full blown IDE.

My comment was only that its good that kdebase has kwrite and not kate,
because kwrite is sufficient as an editor for a desktop and kate gets
more and more into the direction of an IDE...

> and KDevelop, which has *so* many features that a person can get lost
> in it,

I have to say that it takes some time to find all the nifty little
things that really help in developing, but I don't quite agree on the
get lost thing...

> and I'm unsure about how stable
> some of its features are, as when trying to get it to accomplish simple
> things like SVN integration it either crashes (KDE 3.5.6), or just doesn't
> work, with no notification.

Well, one of the reason that SVN is so bad in kdevelop3 is that the
ioslave is really old and hasn't seen much love. There is however a
dedicated user who wants to greatly improve that in the 3.4 series. For
4.0 we aim to have tighter integration, not using an ioslave but using
the svn library directly.

> I think that Kate could become a straight to the point, no frills IDE,
> that does a few things and does them really, really well.  It already does
> text editing extremely well,

I don't quite agree on that last one, it does some things wrt text
editing very well, but it also has some shortcomming which can't be
solved inside Kate itself. One of those is indentation, the other one
improved hightlighting, that come to my mind instantly. And I'm not
suggesting to add these to kate, thats really the job of a full blown
IDE.

Andreas

--
Just to have it is enough.