List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Google SoC Project Idea: Kate Feature Extension
From:       "Vic Fryzel" <vic () shellsage ! com>
Date:       2007-03-02 18:32:23

That's true.  But I'd prefer Kate to be a small IDE.  At this point, there
is Kate/KWrite, which both essentially just provide the basic features
like syntax highlighting and smart indentation;  Quanta, which has some
nice project features, but is very "clunky" when it comes to project
rendering (I'm used to using Quanta and taking a break while it spends 3-4
minutes loading the project file(s));  and KDevelop, which has *so* many
features that a person can get lost in it, and I'm unsure about how stable
some of its features are, as when trying to get it to accomplish simple
things like SVN integration it either crashes (KDE 3.5.6), or just doesn't
work, with no notification.

I think that Kate could become a straight to the point, no frills IDE,
that does a few things and does them really, really well.  It already does
text editing extremely well, if we could throw on top of that a few
features to save someone from having to type out an CVS/SVN command or
switch to a CVS/SVN client, and extend sessions into actual projects (file
tree, file exclusion, project moves) I think it would be such a happy
medium.  Generally, if it did all everyday tasks involved with source code
editing, and did them well, I know that at least for me my effiency would
increase so, so much.

--
Vic Fryzel (vic at shellsage dot com)
http://shellsage.com/