List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Google SoC Project Idea: Kate Feature Extension
From:       "Vic Fryzel" <vic () shellsage ! com>
Date:       2007-03-02 19:40:12

I didn't mean to come across as disagreeing with you, but rather just
conversing.  I agreed with what you said.  :D

> My comment was only that its good that kdebase has kwrite and not kate,
> because kwrite is sufficient as an editor for a desktop and kate gets
> more and more into the direction of an IDE...
I agree 100%.

> I have to say that it takes some time to find all the nifty little
> things that really help in developing, but I don't quite agree on the
> get lost thing...
I was referring to the numerous project types, the "behind the scenes"
project build support, and stuff of that nature.  You're right though,
maybe the "get lost" part was a little much.

> I don't quite agree on that last one, it does some things wrt text
> editing very well, but it also has some shortcomming which can't be
> solved inside Kate itself. One of those is indentation, the other one
> improved hightlighting, that come to my mind instantly. And I'm not
> suggesting to add these to kate, thats really the job of a full blown
> IDE.
How are indentation and highlighting lacking in Kate?  For my uses they
seem to be quite alright.  One thing I dislike about Kate is the lack of a
tree-based filesystem browser on the left, as it makes working with
multiple documents all within a few directories of each other difficult.

--
Vic Fryzel (vic at shellsage dot com)
http://shellsage.com/