List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: more than 4 keyboard layouts?
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-02-28 11:32:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

> [: Andriy Rysin :]
> well I was thinking about some sort of engine of this kind, the question
> is time and effort:
> currently I have prently todos for kxkb even for 4 layouts/groups, so I
> am just trying to plan ahead and not to overdesign the switcher.

It seems to me that the multi-rotation feature is "orthogonal" to basic
layout switching, so that you can just proceed with keeping it in the back
of the mind. Not to do something in the code that would prevent it as a
possibility...

Though, a sanity check: am I correct that, on the technical level (ie. not
thinking about the GUI to support it), it would indeed not be difficult?
In the sense that, if to set basic layout switching you need some
equivalent of setxkbmap -layout "..." -variant "..." etc., then supporting
several rotations would mean only making these group-setup calls on
rotation switch?

> [...] I think in this case assigning a shortcut to layout would help,
> e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F8 to RU e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F9

While it may be improvement from rotating, I'm not sure it's that good.
Prior to turning, I was trying to use these for some half a year in
Windows, and it was a pain and till the end I couldn't save myself from
frequent mishits.

For me it is much more relaxing with 2 layouts in the rotation, so that I
don't have to think at all, it's always the same combo to go back and
forth. And a shorter one at that, Ctrl+Alt+Fn is (I'd say) disastrous for
quick switching.

It is a pity that there are little usability guidelines regarding this. You
certainly recall that thread on kde-core-devel, where there was a big fuss
about switching shortcuts, and people more involved in usability claimed
that three key mod+mod+letter is a "consistent" way to go, that
modifier-only shortcuts are "evil", etc. (there I found about this
Alt+Space as a compromise). While I certainly wouldn't second guess their
opinion in general, I think it's not valid in the very special case of
layout switching for non-Latin users. I guess that most usability studies
are done by native-Latin researchers with native-Latin users, so that this
issue rarely pops up.

> Also sticky switching may be tricky to do properly with groups so it
> may be changed or just go away - this depends on implementation
> complexity, as far as I know some people use sticky switching but most
> of them are not too excited about it.

I agree. It is somewhat helpful, but I could also live with only 2 layouts
in the rotation (I mostly use US/Serbian Cyrillic, and Serbian Latin
rarely). Especially if it is reasonable to hope for multi-rotation
feature :)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)