List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: more than 4 keyboard layouts?
From:       "Andriy Rysin" <arysin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-02-27 19:43:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2007/2/27, Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic@gmx.net>:

> > [: Andriy Rysin :]
> > [...] as kxkb is going to switch groups instead of layouts in KDE4
> > [...] four layouts will be supported, the problem starts with 5 and more
>
> But how about this: let it be 4 layouts tops in the rotation (ie. group
> switching), but implement a possibility of forming more than a single
> rotation. The rationale would be twofold.

well I was thinking about some sort of engine of this kind, the question is
time and effort:
currently I have prently todos for kxkb even for 4 layouts/groups, so I am
just trying to plan ahead and not to overdesign the switcher.

First, even if someone needs more than 4 layouts, he most certainly doesn't
> need them in a quick-switch manner. Probably 2 layouts tops while writing
> a single piece of whatever.

agree

The implementation shouldn't have to burden those which do not need to use
> multiple rotations. In config, there could be an "Add Rotation" option,
> and some way of selecting the rotation to which layouts are added/removed,
> when more rotations are present. In the systray, again only in case of
> more than one defined rotation, there could be a number next to layout
> text/icon.

I myself use 3: US, Ukrainian and Russian and I think in this case assigning
a shortcut to layout would help, e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F8 to RU e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F9 to
UA and Ctrl+Alt+F10 to US. And it's on my todo list.
Also sticky switching may be tricky to do properly with groups so it may be
changed or just go away - this depends on implementation complexity, as far
as I know some people use sticky switching but most of them are not too
excited about it. I think "shortcut-per-layout" should be a better solution.
Though some "sticky twist" might come handy:
US + UA + RU

Swtich by Ctrl+Shift (or other standard way) between US and UA (sticky part)
Allow to switch to RU with Ctrl+Alt+F*.
Or something like that.

And while we're at shortcuts (forgetting for the moment my proposal above),
> when you use xkb switching withing the group, what are the shortcuts going
> to be? Only those that xkb natively supports, as in Gnome? I'm worried
> because in the meantime I've been using Alt+Space (as on MacOS X), and
> indeed it does work out beautifully for me (better than my previous
> choice, RWin).

I am planning to support both: modifier-only shortcuts (like Ctrl+Shift)
through XKB options and standard ones (I myself use Ctrl+Menu) through
Qt/KDE. The first one is most requested feature and second is just natural
and standard for KDE.

Andriy