List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE touches hard disk in standby mode
From:       Leon Weber <leon () vserver152 ! masterssystems ! com>
Date:       2007-02-28 14:33:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hello,
I hope this is the right place to ask, there's a couple of mailing lists where
imho I could ask this, so please tell me if I got the wrong one.

The issue:
I got a hard disk which is put in standby mode by hdparm -Y. It's unused in
any way and not mounted. I could switch it on by mounting it or touching it
somehow else, for example with smart, if I needed it.

Now this is great; but when I go to the K menu and hit the "Log off" button*,
then the sleeping hard disk is switched on.
Thus I wonder why and how KDE touches it and how I could avoid this.

Thanks in advance for your help.
-- Leon

* no idea how it's called in english; it's the one you touch to shut the
machine down.