List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: more than 4 keyboard layouts?
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-02-27 16:07:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

> [: Andriy Rysin :]
> [...] as kxkb is going to switch groups instead of layouts in KDE4
> [...] four layouts will be supported, the problem starts with 5 and more

I too am on the verge, 4 layouts at the moment. Most Serbian users will
normally need 3 layouts: US, Serbian Cyrillic, Serbian Latin.

But how about this: let it be 4 layouts tops in the rotation (ie. group
switching), but implement a possibility of forming more than a single
rotation. The rationale would be twofold.

First, even if someone needs more than 4 layouts, he most certainly doesn't
need them in a quick-switch manner. Probably 2 layouts tops while writing
a single piece of whatever.

Second, if one does need quick switching, and with 2 layouts at that, than
having more than 2 layouts in the rotation is decidedly troublesome. Eg. I
sometimes need US/Serbian Cyrillic switching, and sometimes US/Serbian
Latin. So I'm currently patching myself out with sticky option, but it's
cumbersome (I first shortcut-switch to US, then use mouse to switch to
Serbian Cyr/Lat, so as to always have it sticky in pair with US).

The implementation shouldn't have to burden those which do not need to use
multiple rotations. In config, there could be an "Add Rotation" option,
and some way of selecting the rotation to which layouts are added/removed,
when more rotations are present. In the systray, again only in case of
more than one defined rotation, there could be a number next to layout
text/icon.

Of course, both layout switch and rotation switch should have their own
shortcuts.

And while we're at shortcuts (forgetting for the moment my proposal above),
when you use xkb switching withing the group, what are the shortcuts going
to be? Only those that xkb natively supports, as in Gnome? I'm worried
because in the meantime I've been using Alt+Space (as on MacOS X), and
indeed it does work out beautifully for me (better than my previous
choice, RWin).

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)