List:       kde-devel
Subject:    broken KDE installation (what'd I do?!)
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2007-02-27 17:30:36

Yike! It looks like I broke something major yesterday when I did a fresh
'make clean && make && make install' of kdelibs-3.5-svn. When I try to
run KWrite, I get the a dialog with the message:

"A KDE text-editor component could not be found; please check your KDE
installation."

...and then it crashes with this:

Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
[New Thread -1208105280 (LWP 1864)]
[KCrash handler]
#6  0x00ff3214 in KWrite (this=0x8856888, doc=0x0) at kwritemain.cpp:90
#7  0x00ff6cf6 in kdemain (argc=2, argv=0xbff3ede4) at kwritemain.cpp:660
#8  0x080486b2 in main (argc=2, argv=0xbff3ede4) at kwrite.la.cpp:2

The only output I get is:

kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from
/var/tmp/kdecache-mwoehlke/ksycoca

I have been running KWrite with svn kate-part before (in fact, what I am
trying to do is test changes to kate-part :-)). The only other thing I
can think of that changed recently is I built and installed kdesdk from
svn. I *don't* have a complete svn package suite installed; libs and
arts (and now sdk and base), but that's it. I *do* have a full 3.5.5
installation in a separate location that is also in my KDEDIRS.

Suggestions...?

--
Matthew
"There's nothing in the universe so permanent as a temporary government