List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.5.6 & KDE 4
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2007-02-03 16:19:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 03 February 2007 16:27, Dirk Stoecker wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, David Faure wrote:

> > This means we can take the time to work on kde4, our users are not left
> > with nothing meanwhile, they can use kde-3.5.x for another year or two
> > (or even more, for some), without the need for kde-4.0 to be ready
> > yesterday. This is quite different from the kde1->kde2 and even
> > kde2->kde3 times.
>
> Here is the problem. The "core" developers moved to KDE4 which will again
> take some time. Lot's of bugs in KDE3 are left unfixed. Sometimes also
> disturbing new bugs are introduced in KDE3 so the stability of KDE3 series
> has some problems.

I think most core developers are aware of the importance of the KDE3 platform,
e.g. KDE PIM just recently introduced a branch for KDE 3.5 based development
of new features for corporate and governmental users.

> > However for kde-4.0 things are different. We cannot release as 4.0 a
> > version of kdelibs where kdeui still uses qt3support, because we would be
> > stuck with that for ever (i.e. until 5.0), for binary compatibility
> > reasons. Therefore we have a number of things that -must- be done
>
> Why is a transition layer so bad for you? You have open source. You can
> remove it any later time and inbetween do a step by step ugrading.

It depends where this transitional things are located. If it is in some
internal code, there is surely the possibility to remove it later. It it is
in some API, which is what David is most likely referring to, it has to be
removed now, otherwise it stays for the whole KDE 4 series.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring