List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Developing applications for KDE4
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2007-02-03 16:32:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 03 February 2007 16:41, Dirk Stoecker wrote:

> I know. And I also know the negative effects of branching. I tend to find
> the "extreme programming" approach better, where larger changes are broken
> down into smaller pieces. You can do major software reworking without
> loosing the possibility to always have one working version. If you agree
> that the seperation is largely symbolic, then you also must agree this
> approach would have worked for KDE as well.

If I am not mistaken this is actually the way it has been done.
- First step has been porting to Qt4.
- After this removal of things that were marked as deprecated.
- Reorganizing subsystems to correct artificial restrictions of the old
architecture.
- Replacing of subsystems with new ones on new technology
- Adding new subsystems

Every step that requires larger changes is first developed in a separate
branch to keep, as you pointed out, the current version working and merged in
later.
Depending on the feature set an application uses such merges have likely been
without effect to the application code.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring