List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Announce] KPDF2-0.3.0 released
From:       Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek () lichota ! net>
Date:       2007-01-31 9:33:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Aaron J. Seigo napisaƂ(a):
> On Tuesday 30 January 2007 10:22, David Johnson wrote:
>> I'm hoping this is just normal hacker pessimism, and that the real
>> situation is much brighter.
>
> think "KDE 2.0". it'll be almost the same situation.
>
> there will be distros that provide 4.0 packages immediately (kubuntu and
> opensuse come to mind) while others will stick with kde3. i'd expect it to
> become a common default in 4.1, with 4.0 being an early adopters release and
> kde3 still being a common install option for several kde4 releases.
>
> this is essentially what happened with kde2.
>
> i also remember some distros moving from kde2 to kde3 only when it was at 3.3
> or 3.4, so there are always lags.

Exactly. But IMHO this year is really important for adoption of Linux on
desktop. And KDE4 is not going to be there.

Don't get me wrong - I really think KDE4 will be a great and
breakthrough desktop. Just don't abandon KDE3 yet and don't stifle
innovation in it "because KDE4 is where the improvements are done".
There are already voices that 3.5.6 will be the last release in 3.5
series and given that KDE4 is far away, this would be the bad thing.

	Krzysztof Lichota