List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Funny names in apps [Was: [Wish] Title, Address and Date format]
From:       Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek () lichota ! net>
Date:       2007-01-30 14:25:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Ian Wadham napisa=C5=82(a):
> For example, a level in KGoldrunner called "The Runaround" is
> translated (fr) as "La mauvaise excuse", which is the kind of
> runaround a supplier gives you when delivery is late, but
> a more literal meaning was intended: ie. having to go a long
> way for very little.  I don't see that as a serious case, though.

As you raised this topic...
Sometimes apps authors start inventing funny names, which give
translators really hard time to find out if this is some joke or
translator lacks knowledge on the topic. It happens most often in games
(level names, as you gave examples), but also sometimes in credits (for
example, the term "Swedish Bitch" in Amarok credits).

So, if you are adding jokes, funny names, please, _please_ add comment
(as context) what it is supposed to mean. It will make translators work
much easier.

	Krzysztof Lichota (Polish translation team coordinator)