List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: What about a glossary (was: Re: [Wish] Title,
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-30 1:48:24

Am Dienstag, 30. Januar 2007 02:11, schrieb David Jarvie:
> On Monday 29 January 2007 22:17:20 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Am Montag, 29. Januar 2007 23:10, schrieb David Jarvie:
> > > The idea I had in mind was that translators would add a string to the
> > > list whenever they came across one that was ambiguous in their
> > > language. So compilation of the list of strings would be manual.
> > > Detection of these ambiguous strings in actual code would be automatic,
> > > by Krazy.
> >
> > Such a glossary would be very good, not only for ambiguous english terms,
> > but in general. Developers, who often are not native english speakers and
> > in need for a matching english term, so the other way round, could have a
> > look there, too.
> > I would also help as reference for consistent naming in the ui, cmp.
> > e.g. "folder" vs. "directory".
> >
> > Do any translation teams use a glossary at all? I could not find a
> > reference at l10n.kde.org.

But a tool for this is listed:
http://l10n.kde.org/tools/kdedict/
Oh, the screenshots show KDE 1, really, time has passed.

> Glossaries might well be useful, but the proposed list of ambiguous English
> translatable strings is a separate idea. As I have proposed, that list
> would ideally be referenced by Krazy, whereas glossaries wouldn't be.

Yes, you have a good idea here.

Perhaps it could still be linked with such a glossary. As the glossary could
contain the strings, but note that they are ambiguous and why. So the
glossary would contain the info how to fix it, too, for simple browsing and
as data pool for Krazy. And Krazy would embed a direct link to the glossary
entry in the error report.
Would this add to your idea? :)

Friedrich