List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Wish] Title, Address and Date format
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2007-01-29 22:10:01

On Monday 29 January 2007 17:24:02 Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> David Jarvie napisaƂ(a):
> > If we could compile a list of strings which are ambiguous and which need
> > comments, perhaps a new Krazy check could be implemented which highlights
> > any uses of these strings without comments. In real life, developers
> > won't always check the string list, so some automatic method of spotting
> > such strings without comments would be really useful. Ideally Krazy would
> > automatically email the maintainer of the code when offending string
> > usage was spotted - after all, Krazy output won't necessarily be seen by
> > many developers either.
> >
> > Some such mechanism could be really useful in improving the quality of
> > KDE translations if translators could get into the habit of notifying
> > ambiguities.
>
> It would be really great to have such plugin. The problem is that we do
> not know in advance which strings will cause problems. Maybe there
> should be some heuristic for this like "string is shorter than 20
> characters and appears in more than one source file"?

The idea I had in mind was that translators would add a string to the list
whenever they came across one that was ambiguous in their language. So
compilation of the list of strings would be manual. Detection of these
ambiguous strings in actual code would be automatic, by Krazy.

Then, in line with what Aaron has said, i18nc comments could be added to the
code by anybody who understands the context. So strings could be fixed by
anybody who was willing to volunteer to keep an eye on the Krazy output and
investigate the use of these strings in each specific i18n call.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.