List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Wish] Title, Address and Date format
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-29 20:23:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 29 January 2007 6:36, Yukiko Bando wrote:
> Also, "A of B" is almost always "BのA" in Japanese. There are twelve
> strings like this in kdelibs.po.
>
> kdelibs/kdelibs.po
> #: kdecore/kcalendarsystemgregorian.cpp:156 kdecore/klocale.cpp:591
> msgid ""
> "_: of January\n"
> "of Jan"
>
> If it is used in combination with other strings as in "the third week of
> Jan" or "3rd of Jan", I'd like to translate it as a whole, which would
> be "1月の第3週" or "1月3日" in Japanese.

having looked into this problem, this is an issue in KLocale::formatDate().
this seems to be the only place (other than the few copies of KCalendarSystem
in svn =/ ) that it is really used.

working off of the date format string, it just marches along the key codes one
after the other; there is not allowance in the date format string to
rearrange the order of the key codes based on the language. and this is only
for languages with noun declension apparently.

so .. all that said: are these strings good enough for Japanese given that
they are only used to format dates according to the date format? e.g. it
doesn't look like it should ever be used by random arrangements such as "the
8th banana of January"

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se