List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Announce] KPDF2-0.3.0 released
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-29 20:39:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 29 January 2007 13:29, Bryan Wilkerson wrote:
> No, I started it as a patch to the existing kdegraphics and then the
> patch got out of hand.

heh =)

> I'm sorry if I broke protocol.

the only thing i'd personally suggest is that using the name KPDF is perhaps
not the most kosher thing to do given that it is a fork; at least not without
the knowledge and permission of the people who work on KPDF. i don't think
it's a huge issue, but the general rule is: when you fork, rename. this
prevents confusion amongst our (your) users. unless, of course, the KPDF team
(now the Okular developers) say, "hey, go ahead and take over maintainership
of KDE3's KPDF" which IMHO would be the best solution.

> The changes were only a few days work
> and I decided to initiate the collaboration with a something in hand.

which is commendable =)

> I do have a fundamental problem with Occular. Tightly coupling
> applications like this to KDE seems unneccessary to me.

you're glossing over two very important issues.

1) technology: some things are simply not easy or even possible with qt3/kde3
2) manpower: we don't have enough people to work on 2 or 3 versions of every
application we have, so at some point we need to focus on the next release
version. otherwise we'll never get either out. if we had a glut of developers
things might be different, but we don't.

#2 is bigger than #1, but both are key to this issue.

> How long before
> KDE4 makes into RH, SuSE or Ubuntu?  Why should someone need to have the
> KDE4 desktop installed in order to have a decent PDF reader?   Yes, of

because of the above reasons. if you are helping bridge the gap for #2, kudos!
because that's what it takes: people getting involved.

now... if you can get your patches proven somehow (e.g. convince a kde3 based
distro to ship it so it can get some testing) and you get some approval from
the KPDF/Okular tam, this may be able to make it into a 3.5.x release.

> course, you need to have a KPart compatible with the newer version of
> Konqueror, I get it - but turning your back on KDE3 users seems a
> premature idea to me.

in a perfect world we'd still have KDE2 development going on. it's not out of
a lack of concern or vision that we make these hard decisions. it's based on
a realistic appraisal of our capabilities as human beings with finite time
and energy. =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se