List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Announce] KPDF2-0.3.0 released
From:       Bryan Wilkerson <bryanwilkerson () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2007-01-29 20:29:02

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 19:09 +0100, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dilluns 29 Gener 2007, Brad Hards va escriure:

> > Was it really necessary to fork the code?
>
> That's the same i was wondering, i don't remeber him contacting us
> (kpdf/okular developers) so he decided to fork as first option instead of
> trying to collaborate, that simply sucks IMHO.

No, I started it as a patch to the existing kdegraphics and then the
patch got out of hand.

I'm sorry if I broke protocol.  The changes were only a few days work
and I decided to initiate the collaboration with a something in hand.
I'd be happy to help - otherwise I would have just built what I wanted
for myself and not shared it with the world.

I do have a fundamental problem with Occular. Tightly coupling
applications like this to KDE seems unneccessary to me.  How long before
KDE4 makes into RH, SuSE or Ubuntu?  Why should someone need to have the
KDE4 desktop installed in order to have a decent PDF reader?   Yes, of
course, you need to have a KPart compatible with the newer version of
Konqueror, I get it - but turning your back on KDE3 users seems a
premature idea to me.  Just MHO.

-bryan