List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Tab switching shortcuts [Re: Some questions regarding development
From:       "Ellis Whitehead" <kde.07 () ellisw ! net>
Date:       2007-01-20 20:22:50

Hi Gary,

On 1/20/07, Gary L. Greene, Jr. <greeneg@tolharadys.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 20 January 2007 14:35, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > On Sat Jan 20 2007, Ellis Whitehead wrote:
> > > To repeat myself: So what about giving serious thought to consistent
> > > shortcuts among KDE applications for switching between a) documents
> > > and b) panes in both c) linear order and d) stack order?
> >
> > Yes, I think we should think about this. BTW, there is also the Win key
> > available on many (altough not all) keyboards that might be used with
> > TAB.
> >
> > Andras
>
> I've been seriously eyeing the win key for a number of window management
> shortcuts. This way we can have the shortcuts be in the following manner:
> CTRL == global non-window management, WIN == global window management, ALT ==
> application. This way the shortcuts are more standardized. While yes, this
> flies in the face of the Windows way of doing things (where the shortcuts are
> almost ad-hoc) I'd like to see us move to this, since it'd make it clear what
> shortcuts that app developers can use, and which that the platform uses, etc.

Could you give a couple examples of the various cases?

As a side thought, would this be something that could done in the
default KDE setup, or would it have to be an "alternate"
configuration?  If it ends up as an alternate configuration, it will
probably be doomed to obsolescence, so it'd be worth considering how
to make it not-too-radical so that your plans can be accepted as
standard defaults and actually get used. :)

Best regards,
Ellis