List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Autostart management in KDE3
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-19 12:53:28

On Friday 19 January 2007 12:59, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'd like to have an application autostarted on session login and
> figured that installing a desktop file in $(prefix)/share/autostart is
> the best way to do that.
>
> The problem with this approach is, that I want to give the user the
> ability to disable the application from autostarting and I found no
> convenient method to do that.
> Does KDE3 provide mechanisms to achieve that?
> Will I have to code this logic myself and if so, what's the best way to do it?

The .desktop file can have a line like
X-KDE-autostart-condition=kmyapprc:General:Autostart:true
which means that it will only autostart if kmyapprc doesn't have, in the [General] group,
Autostart=false.
Then you can have a checkbox or a messagebox in your application to let the user
choose whether the app should be autostarted.

See http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdelibs/kinit/README.autostart?rev=438982&view=auto
for more details.