List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Some questions regarding development for KDE3
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2007-01-19 13:20:58

On Thursday 18 January 2007 23:50, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 18.01.07 23:34:44, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> >
> > OK. A suggestion though, better strip the whole method signature, it's
> > only useful for overloaded methods which doesn't happen that often in
> > practice, and the rest of the times it's just clutter.
>
> Hmm, ever looked at Qt recently? I see plenty of overloads there ;) An
> option to do this may be an option ;)

Do you hack on Qt itself often ? Overloads are more common in libraries, true,
but that's a rather specific case. In applications they are more rare, so
IMHO in the general case you don't need the whole method signature.

> > Eclipse shows search results in a tree which is a subset of the project's
> > hierarchy. It's much easier to navigate, especially when there are lots
> > of results.
>
> Yes, I do find this convenient sometimes, other times I find it
> hindering, especially with deep project hierarchies like java packages.

That's true, Idea solved this by automagically opening all the intermediate
nodes between the top node and the result, I hope Eclipse will add this
eventually.

> See, KDevelop has currently a memory footprint of less than 200 MB even
> after parsing its own source code. Eclipse is totally unusable on my
> Centrino/1.4GHz/1GB RAM system without natively compiling it.

Centrinos aren't heavy-duty procs if I recall correctly. More RAM would
probably buy you a bit more performance, though.

> Heap is 512Megs :) I'll try to retest it when I have some time...

Actually that should be plenty enough for 3.2, I've just checked and mine
actually has a 256Mb heap, and it happily handles the 250+KLOCs of the
Rosegarden source tree. I have an dual core amd64 though.

--
Guillaume.
http://telegraph-road.org