List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Some questions regarding development for KDE3
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2007-01-18 22:34:44

On Thursday 18 January 2007 20:43, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> Last thing I heard is that kate uses regexps to "parse" the language at
> hand, which of course fails in quite some cases, especially on complex
> languages like C++. And it does work for me more than 70% of the time
> with spaces, it does not work at all with tabs here.

May be. All I can see is that it ignores the context when indenting, which
even Eclipse gets right.

> > - Quick Open Class still doesn't handle wildcards ('*'), it only
> > completes on the beginning of the fully qualified class name. How
> > convenient when all your classes are under a specific namespace, you have
> > to type the whole namespace name before being able to filter anything.
>
> When I type "AST" on kdev4 sources I see both unnamespaced and
> namespaced classes.

That's much better. I still strongly suggest you add support for a '*'
wildcard.

> > - same lack for Quick Open File, which also only shows source files and
> > makefiles
>
> It shows all files that belong to the project, if for some reason a file
> doesn't belong to the project kdevelop can't do much.

Fair enough. I tried it only after a quick import. What threw me off is that
all the files (including non imported ones) where shown in the 'File'
navigation view.

> > - still no outline view for the currently opened file (no, the navigation
> > bar listing all files method is not an acceptable substitute though it's
> > a definitive improvement)
>
> 3.4 can sync the class view on the left side with the current file which
> gives you something that gets as close to an outline as kdev3 can. Also
> the navigation bar does provide completion in 3.4

OK. A suggestion though, better strip the whole method signature, it's only
useful for overloaded methods which doesn't happen that often in practice,
and the rest of the times it's just clutter.

> > - class view a little bit better since it's hierarchised based on the
> > file hierarchy, but still useless
>
> What exactly is the problem here?

Well I was thinking that I had no use for the information it was providing,
but on 2nd thought no, it can be useful in some cases, so disregard this
statement.

> You can click on any result (or use keyboard) and immediately jump to
> the exact position in the given file. You see the full filename. All 3.4
> though, I don't have 3.3 installed here to check.,

Eclipse shows search results in a tree which is a subset of the project's
hierarchy. It's much easier to navigate, especially when there are lots of
results.

> > - tried code completion on a trivial case (QRect var), nothing. It works
> > on Eclipse (although it takes way too long to respond)
>
> Forget code-completion in 3.3, its broken. 3.4 is completely reworked
> here. From Eclipse all I hear is that it crashes or hangs your system
> when you have code completion for kdelibs or qt.

Works fine here, but it takes too long to be really useable.

> Yes, thats correct and with a firm that invests quite some money. Of
> course there are things they do better, but eclipse is too darn slow
> here on my system. Even typing in the editor is a pain.

Eclipse is barely useable under 1Gb of RAM. You also have to give the jvm a
larger heap than default, about 512Mb is right for a large project (Eclipse
3.2 made huge progress in that regard).

> Well, looking at 3.4 I think there are a few more things, but as I said
> above I didn't have the time yet to do exhausting testing with cdt. The
> stuff I tried worked not that well (and I did have 3.2, it was around
> christmas last year).

You tried the current version then. All I can think of is that your jvm had a
very small heap and was spending its time GCing.

--
Guillaume.
http://telegraph-road.org