List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KProcess api
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-12-18 7:11:00

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 09:44:52PM +0100, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Sunday 17 December 2006 12:07, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 02:42:21AM +0100, Ji?í Pale?ek wrote:
> > > Is there a chance that it will be possible in KDE4?
> >
> > b) we screw the kprocess-derived-from-qprocess idea and do it
> > ourselves.  the effort is considerable, though. i don't think i can
> > afford it any time soon.
>
> I missed the first part of this thread, but have you looked at
> KExtProcess? I has a bunch of things up its sleeve.

last time we discussed KEP it had a relevance for kprocess as such which
is rather close to zero. it works at a much higher level.

to bring kprocess en par with qprocess, we'd have to:
- completely change the api. that is the simplest but biggest part.
- make it thred-safe. that's tough
- port it to windows *cough*

another "challenge" is, that i know qprocess pretty well and find it
rather good for most parts, so not infringing any tt copyrights isn't
exactly a trivial thing.
let alone the fact that cloning a huge class because of a few missing
features is just braindead. otoh, tt refused several of my requests
based on lack of resources - and completely ignored my patches and offer
to do some contract work on that topic. tt as we know it, i'd say.