List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: virtual keyboard in KDE4?
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2006-12-18 13:04:44

On Saturday 16 December 2006 09:02, Stefan Kombrink wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I've running Kubuntu and KDE 3.5.5 on a Samsung Q1 tablet PC.
> This device is rather small (7" screen width), has no keyboard and provides
> a touch screen.
> Finally I got all devices to work properly - the main reason I am still
> running Win only is simply that
> there doesn't seem to exist any proper virtual keyboard which embedds in
> KDE like the one under Win.
> I wonder whether there are plans to integrate an virtual keyboard in the
> core of KDE4?
> I believe the functionality is neccessary in kdelibs since it should be
> accessible everythere (especially in KDM).
>
> Does somebody know if there are already such achievements underway or
> whether this idea is welcomed by the core developers?

 With xvkbd it works in openSUSE10.2. With normal desktop you just need, well,
to run it. With KDM it also should work out of the box, with launching and
killing xvkbd in /etc/X11/xdm/{Xsetup|Xstartup} (package xorg-x11). For the
screensaver lock a patch is needed (package kdebase3).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer