List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Introducing into KDE programming
From:       Juan Luis Baptiste <juan.baptiste () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2006-09-26 16:02:06

On Tuesday 26 September 2006 10:37, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> Taking a look to your responses (that are really productive and
> interesting, I thank you) I wonder how do you develop for KDE. I mean...
> what strategy do you follow to have a running system and hack KDE without
> breaking yours or whatever.

You could use Konstruct to automagically compile KDE 3.5.4 from sources
without risking to hose your rpm installation:

> The idea of having another tree (i.e ~/kde-devel) and play with KDEDIRS
> variable could be interesting, but I DON'T want to compile kdebase any time
> that I break kdesu for example when programming or something (i know that
> is not necessary, but having a unclean tree makes me crazy). For that
> reason I thought in downloading only apps that I would like to improve
> (i.e. kate, kmail, kdesu...) and compile them with the include dir in my
> root system and the libraries in my kde root directory.

You can tell to konstruct which modules you want to compile and which ones
not. I suppose there are some modules that you have to compile like kdebase
and kdelibs but you can save some time by telling konstruct which modules you
definitively don't need.

Cheers,
--
Juan Luis Baptiste