List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: Introducing into KDE programming
From:       Paulo Jorge Guedes <Paulo.Guedes () artelecom ! pt>
Date:       2006-09-26 13:54:07

Don't know if it is good idea to mix the official distribution KDE packages with \
custom installed sources. One alternative is to build a complete alternate KDE \
environment (which takes a lot of time and work compiling all the stuff) or play with \
KDEDIRS, searching first for the custom installed KDE (say in ~/kde-devel) and at \
last in the distribution KDE prefix (typically in /usr). This way you only have to \
build what you need.

Anyway I would like to see this very well documented as it is extremely important for \
anyone who wants to hack on KDE (we all love KDE3to4, for example :)).

> If everything goes right, i.e. you can build and install kdesu, then you
> can
> start hacking it at leisure. Open the folder, edit, re-build and install.
>
> I used this technics to hack the kdelibs (and more) and that was pretty
> easy. My KDE is now a mix of SuSE RPM's with some home-baked stuff. Almost
> nobody can see the difference.  ;-)

I hope it lasts ;)

Paulo