List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Introducing into KDE programming
From:       Remi Villatel <maxilys () tele2 ! fr>
Date:       2006-09-26 13:32:47

On Tuesday 26 September 2006 14:30, Rafael Fernández López wrote:

> Well I think I've explained myself pretty bad. I don't want to work on
> KDE 4. I do use KDE 3.5.4. Imagine that I've found a bug that I really
> hate in kdesu. I've downloaded from SVN the code of kdesu in KDE 3.5.4
> version, and I've modified it to make something different on that
> program, but I only downloaded the kdesu source code. I am not able to
> see my changes because I can't compile it. If I download the entire
> kdebase tree, I've the same problem, the same errors for autoconf,
> automake and friends.

Hmmm... It looks like you're trying to climb a cliff. Instead of SVN, you
should start with something easier:

http://download.kde.org/stable/3.5.4/src/

You can build anything with a simple ./configure ; make ; make install
round.

To hack kdesu, what I'd do is to get kdebase sources,
do './configure --prefix=/where/your/kde/is' in the root of the folder
then 'make' in kdesu folder. Build everything required until the 'make'
succeeds.

Depending on how Gentoo's KDE is different for KDE.org's one, you may be
able to install only kdesu alone or you may have to install the whole
kdebase... and to build it first!

If you break your KDE, you just have to re-install it from RPM, DEB or
whatever package system Gentoo uses.

If everything goes right, i.e. you can build and install kdesu, then you can
start hacking it at leisure. Open the folder, edit, re-build and install.

I used this technics to hack the kdelibs (and more) and that was pretty
easy. My KDE is now a mix of SuSE RPM's with some home-baked stuff. Almost
nobody can see the difference.  ;-)

Just my 0.02 Euro,