List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Making Kubuntu look like Ubuntu
From:       Jonathan Riddell <jr () jriddell ! org>
Date:       2006-07-11 20:17:30

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 08:54:26PM +0100, Stephen Holt wrote:
> I'm working on the Kinyarwanda localization of Linux, and we're very
> keen to have the Operating System be known as "Ubuntu" as that is
> actually a word in the language (somewhat coincidentally - I believe
> the OS is named after a Zulu word but Kinyarwanda shares the same bantu
> roots).

kubuntu-devel is the correct list for this e-mail.

> The trouble is that we have only localized KDE so far, which means I
> want to be using "Kubuntu". I have managed to change the startup screen
> using update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so but am not sure
> what to do about the splash screens during login and KDE startup.
>
> So far I have hand-altered the following images:
> /usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/kubuntu/Dialog.png
> /usr/share/apps/ksplash/Themes/kubuntu/Dialog.png
> /usr/share/apps/kicker/pics/kubuntu-kmenu-side.png
>
> to simply remove the K from the beginning of the word, but I am unsure
> if this is legal to distribute, or whether those images are in fact
> copyrighted.

The copying licences is in /usr/share/doc/kubuntu-default-settings,
they're all Free.

However you shouldn't call your distribution "Ubuntu" since that will
confuse it with the actual Ubuntu.  There's also a trademark licence
needed if you choose to call it e.g. "Kinyarwanda Ubuntu", this is
freely available, see http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/TrademarkPolicy/

Please keep me updated with your project, we're always interested in
distributions derived from Kubuntu.

Jonathan