List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Making Kubuntu look like Ubuntu
From:       Stephen Holt <steverwanda () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2006-07-11 19:54:26

Hi,

I'm working on the Kinyarwanda localization of Linux, and we're very
keen to have the Operating System be known as "Ubuntu" as that is
actually a word in the language (somewhat coincidentally - I believe
the OS is named after a Zulu word but Kinyarwanda shares the same bantu
roots).

The trouble is that we have only localized KDE so far, which means I
want to be using "Kubuntu". I have managed to change the startup screen
using update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so but am not sure
what to do about the splash screens during login and KDE startup.

So far I have hand-altered the following images:
/usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/kubuntu/Dialog.png
/usr/share/apps/ksplash/Themes/kubuntu/Dialog.png
/usr/share/apps/kicker/pics/kubuntu-kmenu-side.png

to simply remove the K from the beginning of the word, but I am unsure
if this is legal to distribute, or whether those images are in fact
copyrighted.

Any advice on this, or alternative things to do much appreciated.
Steve.