List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [PLEASE READ] kdepimlibs
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-06-27 8:47:45

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 02:07, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Monday 26 June 2006 19:55, you wrote:
> > On Monday 26 June 2006 17:17, Allen Winter wrote:
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > I finally moved the first kdepim library (libemailfunctions) into the new
> > > kdepimlibs module.

> > > PS. Yes, we want to eliminate libemailfunctions.  But we haven't
> > > figured-out the best way to do that yet.
> >
> > Just move it somewhere in to kdelibs. kutils, perhaps?
>
> Perhaps.   Last I chatted with Thiago and David about this issue we
> couldn't find a good place within kdelibs.   I don't recall if we considered kutils.

I want kutils to go away; it was merely created to solve a dependency problem at the time,
which is already partly solved otherwise (with K*Trader in kdecore now).

> I do recall there was concern about kdelibs becoming a dumping ground.
>
> Funny -> read the kdelibs/kutils/Mainpage.dox for a complete description of this lib.
> ... and kutil isn't listed in kdelibs/README either.

That's because kutils doesn't exist ;) Shouldn't exist.

> How come no kdelibs/MAINTAINERS?
The files in the subdirs are unmaintained enough, no need for a toplevel one,
people can use cd.

> > They are more utility  classes, aren't they?
> Yes.   The worst part is that libemailfunctions contains only 1 *.cpp file.
> It is just an oddball.
Step 1: figure out which apps/modules need that code
Step 2: put the code in the highest level of shared code between those modules.
If it's really needed by many parts of kde other than kdepim, then kdecore seems fine to me
for one cpp file. If it's really only kdepim stuff, then it goes to kdepimlibs.