List:       kde-devel
Subject:    how do I implement dynamic radio buttons in a dialog?
From:       "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar () braincells ! com>
Date:       2006-06-07 4:47:23

Any help with this problem would be gratefully received.

In a dialog box I need to dynamically create radio buttons at runtime
based on a variable number of items.

In the following code, ui is the class derived from my .ui file. items as
you can see is a QMap<QString, int>.  The keys of this QMap should
be the labels of my radio buttons.  btngrp is is a QButtonGroup which
should contain my radio buttons vertically.  (Related question: why won't
Qt Designer let me create a QVButtonGroup?)

for (QMap< QString, int >::const_iterator it = _items.begin();
    it != _items.end(); it++)
{
   int id = ui->btngrp->insert(new QRadioButton(it.key(),
     reinterpret_cast<QWidget *>(ui->btngrp->parent())));
   ui->btngrp->find(id)->show();
}

This works but the newly created radio buttons are not arranged neatly but
stacked on top of each other in the top left of the button group.  What to
do I need to do to make them appear in a single column?  Is it because I
didn't use a QVButtonGroup?  Do my radio buttons have the wrong parent?
Or is it something else altogether?

I am using Qt 3.3.6 and KDE 3.5.3 on Kubuntu Dapper.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com>