List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KSysGuard renaming
From:       Erik =?iso-8859-1?q?Kj=E6r_Pedersen?= <erik () binghamton ! edu>
Date:       2006-06-07 3:39:40

tirsdag 06. juni 2006 15:51 skrev Sean O'Brien:
> I was just posting my general comments, not trying to approach your
> arguments.   Renaming ksysguard obviously doesn't change the app and is a
> relatively trivial matter.

I would like to add a comment here. KDE has millions of users, and changing
names is no trivial matter. You need to know what the programs doing various
things are called to be able to use them, and there has been way too much
changing of names as it is. It creates a lot of work for the whole system,
when names are changed, all documentation has to be changed, all
translations. It does not much matter what the programs are called. Once you
have learnt what they are called, it does matter that they get changed, so
why not just leave these names alone. There is nothing obvious in the
associatioon between excel and a spreadsheet, but once a name is established
as this one is, a lot of people associate excel with a spreadsheet. The same
thing is true for a lot of kde programs. I still use kpm as a special mode
for ksysguard, and I would hate to loose that. There are pccasionally legal
reasons to change names, but other than that could we please keep the names
we know.

Erik (Danish translation team)