List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Developing at 10
From:       Michael Pyne <michael.pyne () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2006-04-30 20:28:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 30 April 2006 16:10, Allan Sadun wrote:
> Where is the documentation in the KDE SVN repository?

(CC'ing Allan as I'm not sure if you're subscribed)

There's two kinds of documentation.  One is the documentation on the KDE
library API (Application Programming Interface). i.e. "How do I use the KDE
libraries to make KDE programs?".  This is the documentation used by KDE
developers, and is likely the kind you will be writing if you are examining
the code.

You can see an example of the end result at http://tinyurl.com/ma3zl

This kind of documentation is located with the code in the KDE repository,
usually in the class definition itself.  For the example I just gave
(documentation for the KConfig class), you'd find the source at

/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/kdecore/kconfig.h

You can view the KDE SVN repository online at http://websvn.kde.org/

The kconfig.h file I just mentioned it viewable online this way
(http://tinyurl.com/q749s).

This kind of documentation is known as Doxygen format, since the doxygen
program is used to read the .h files and produce the API documentation.

The second kind of documentation is the user help guide, used in KHelpCenter
or directly from the Help menu of the KDE application.  It is located in
the /doc subdirectory of the module, and is written in the XML DocBook
format, although the documentation team will perform the conversion to XML
for you, so that all that has to be done is to type the documentation in
plain text.  This is a good way to start as well, and doesn't involve as much
looking at source code.

For example, the user documentation for the JuK program (in the kdemultimedia
module) is in kdemultimedia/doc/juk

Also, when replying to a email, please go ahead and remove the parts of the
message that you're not replying to.  Then make your response under the part
that you're replying to, as it is much easier for those of us who weren't in
the initial conversation to understand what is being said.  Thanks! :)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne