List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror and umask
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-28 8:35:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>Hi,
>
>by accident I noticed that konqueror stops working when setting my umask
>to 222.
>
>Running umask 222; konqueror in a terminal brings it up and the "start
>page" is white background with the text and broken images. No background
>color or image. Putting a local path in the address-lineedit and loading
>it brings up a message box telling me the process for the file-protocoll
>"ended unexpectedly". The same with http-loading.
>
>Before I file a bug report I'd like to know two things:
>
>1. Is this just the KIO slaves not working with the umask?

Probably a lot more.

>2. Is there maybe a reason why this umask setting causes such behaviour?

All created files are created read-only, even though the first time it's
opened, it's actually writable. So if it's trying to pass files to
another process (think temporary files), they become un-writable. It's
also possible that sockets are not connectable if you can't write to
them, which in turn would explain why ioslaves stopped working.

So, no, don't report a bug. You're not supposed to run under umask 222.

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway