List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The number of unassigned bugs is worrisome
From:       Matt Rogers <mattr () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-01-13 20:20:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 13 January 2006 10:32, Dirk Stoecker wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > What we do need is manpower. If each Konqueror developer fixed only one
> > bug per day in Bugzilla, we'd see the number grow absurdly for Konqueror.
>
> I thought there are more developers. I do not mean the core team, but each
> developer doing work in a special area. Thought I never was a core member
> in such a highly accepted application as konqueror, so I do no know the
> exact state for this. My projects are a bit less active :-)
>
> There is always a difference between confirming and fixing. The first can
> usually be very fast, whereas the second usually takes much time. Letting
> the core developers doing the fixing only for real bugs allows better
> overall performance. So the idea of Mark Taff to do mainly
> UNCONFIRMED-->CONFIRMED bug report handling is a good thing I think. Not
> necessarily using up-to-date KDE version. A normal distribution based
> version will probably be enough for most reports. At least a second one
> handling the same report will get the developer a better description.

No, the KDE version has to be at least the latest released KDE version, and
preferably the latest stable branch version. Any other way just doesn't work,
especially when bugs are entered against older versions of KDE.

> Finally a note: Don't blame on manpower. You will not get more. If there
> is more manpower for KDE you will have more projects running which again
> generate more bug-reports. The main task of development is to use the
> existing manpower to its best extend. This is something like an universal
> truth for every development.

What else are we supposed to blame it on? It's all about the manpower. Less
manpower means less progress. More manpower means more progress. Of course,
the existing count of people could do more if we could all afford to work on
KDE fulltime like normal Software Engineers, but we can't.
--
Matt