List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The number of unassigned bugs is worrisome
From:       Dirk Stoecker <kde () dstoecker ! de>
Date:       2006-01-13 16:32:39

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> What we do need is manpower. If each Konqueror developer fixed only one
> bug per day in Bugzilla, we'd see the number grow absurdly for Konqueror.

I thought there are more developers. I do not mean the core team, but each
developer doing work in a special area. Thought I never was a core member
in such a highly accepted application as konqueror, so I do no know the
exact state for this. My projects are a bit less active :-)

There is always a difference between confirming and fixing. The first can
usually be very fast, whereas the second usually takes much time. Letting
the core developers doing the fixing only for real bugs allows better
overall performance. So the idea of Mark Taff to do mainly
UNCONFIRMED-->CONFIRMED bug report handling is a good thing I think. Not
necessarily using up-to-date KDE version. A normal distribution based
version will probably be enough for most reports. At least a second one
handling the same report will get the developer a better description.

Finally a note: Don't blame on manpower. You will not get more. If there
is more manpower for KDE you will have more projects running which again
generate more bug-reports. The main task of development is to use the
existing manpower to its best extend. This is something like an universal
truth for every development.

Ciao
--
http://www.dstoecker.de/ (PGP key available)