List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: python bindings
From:       Marcos Dione <mdione () grulic ! org ! ar>
Date:       2005-12-28 8:48:34

On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 08:09:55PM +0100, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 27.12.05 14:19:40, Marcos Dione wrote:
> >     hi all. first of all, apologies if this isn't the right mailing list, but I
> > counldn't find a more suitable in http://www.kde.org/mailinglists/.
>
> I don't know if the python bindings in kdebindings are the same, but
> most people use pyKDE for accessing KDE from python. See
> www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pykde, it also mentions the correct list.

    I see, so what's on the svn module?

> >     the situation is the following: I have ubuntu's python2.4 installed in /usr,
> > but svn kde in ~/local (in my homedir) and also would like to have the python
> > bindings there. but make install tries to install them in /usr, where I have no
> > permissions.
>
> That has nothing to do with KDE, but is a python limitation. python
> needs the shared libs somewhere in the python path, which normally is
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages (or a subdir of that). The easiest way
> is probably to install python yourself into your home, it's not hard.

    well, the system already has python2.4 and the dev packages, but I can't
install there. also, my ~/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages is in my PYTHONPATH
envvar.

> > I think there should
> > be a cleaner solution.
>
> There is, install python somewhere where you have write permissions.

    IMHO, this is not a `clean solution´.

--
(Not so) Random fortune:
For so long / I saw only wrong / But now to remind / It's a waste of time