List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: python bindings
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-12-27 19:09:55

On 27.12.05 14:19:40, Marcos Dione wrote:
>     hi all. first of all, apologies if this isn't the right mailing list, but I
> counldn't find a more suitable in http://www.kde.org/mailinglists/.

I don't know if the python bindings in kdebindings are the same, but
most people use pyKDE for accessing KDE from python. See
www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pykde, it also mentions the correct list.

>     the situation is the following: I have ubuntu's python2.4 installed in /usr,
> but svn kde in ~/local (in my homedir) and also would like to have the python
> bindings there. but make install tries to install them in /usr, where I have no
> permissions.

That has nothing to do with KDE, but is a python limitation. python
needs the shared libs somewhere in the python path, which normally is
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages (or a subdir of that). The easiest way
is probably to install python yourself into your home, it's not hard.

>     unluckly I don't know enough autotools magic enough to produce a patch
> myself... but I think this should be fixed with another --option. yes, I could
> use --with-pythondir and cheat configure with symlinks, but I think there should
> be a cleaner solution.

There is, install python somewhere where you have write permissions.

Andreas

--
Never give an inch!