List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE & QT4
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-11-15 15:27:12

On 15.11.05 15:57:48, Bram Biesbrouck wrote:
> I'm currently developing a new KDE application and I wonder if any of you guys
> could spill out your opinion on the best approach to do it. Should I stick
> with QT3 and then move to QT4 when KDE does?

I guess you also mean here that you use KDE3.

> Or should I develop entirely in QT4 and then tweak the necessary
> widgets when KDE moves to QT4? Or maybe, I should work on the latest
> SVN that is already ported to QT4?

First: As far as I know kdelibs in SVN is changing very heavily ATM
AFAIK, so I don't think that you can build a new app on top of it at the
moment.

Second: If you need any KDE widgets this of course means to stick to
KDE3+Qt3, if not it's your choice. If you're familiar with Qt3 it might
be easier to start with that...

Also note that Qt4.0.1 is still somewhat buggy and slow with painting,
Qt4.1 should be an improvement here, but it's not out yet. Qt3 is much
more stable and paints much faster.

Andreas

--
You may be recognized soon.  Hide.