List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Strange goings on with Juk (FC3, KDE Branch 3.5)
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <lists () afolkey2 ! net>
Date:       2005-10-01 6:09:00

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 00:35:03 -0500
"Steven P. Ulrick" <lists@afolkey2.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:54:56 -0400
> Michael Pyne <pynm0001@unf.edu> wrote:
> > Perhaps you should try narrowing it down to the libraries that only
> > JuK and amarok have in common.  Possibly musicbrainz?
> >
> > Regards,
> >  - Michael Pyne
>
> Hello, Michael
> Well, after a recent full update of KDE from Branch 3.5, Amarok seems
> to be linked correctly.  At least it's better than it was, and the
> Amarok version number and the KDE version that it uses seems to be
> correct.
> For your enjoyment/amusement, here is a pdf of a spread sheet that I
> did comparing the output of ldd on amarok and juk:
> http://www.afolkey2.net/Juk-Amaraok_Libraries.pdf
>
> Below, find links to the the full output of the following commands the
> last time that I compiled kdemultimedia:
> unsermake -f Makefile.cvs
> http://www.afolkey2.net/kdemultimedia_Branch-3.5-Makefile.txt
>
> ./configure --with-alsa --with-gstreamer --with-lame=/usr/bin
> --with-kscd-cdda --with-xine-prefix=/usr
> --with-xine-exec-prefix=/usr/bin --prefix=/usr/local/kde-svn
> --enable-debug=full
> http://www.afolkey2.net/kdemultimedia_Branch-3.5-Configure.txt
>
> unsermake
> http://www.afolkey2.net/kdemultimedia_Branch-3.5-Unsermake.txt
>
> Also, here is a link to config.log:
> http://www.afolkey2.net/kdemultimedia_Branch-3.5-Config.log
>
> Also, I am now completely free from kde-redhat project RPM's.  This
> doesn't seem to have affected anything, though.
>
> If you need anything else from me, let me know.
>
> Steven P. Ulrick

Hello, again
I just remembered something else: I assume that many of you/all of you
are aware that Redhat/Fedora removed "Help | About KDE" from it's menus
many moons ago.  As I mentioned in a recent message on this subject, I
have uninstalled the kde-redhat projects KDE RPM's (which contain the
correct "Help | About KDE" menu) and reinstalled the latest KDE from
the Fedora Project (for FC3, of course)  Guess what?  Not only is the
version number of KDE incorrect in relation to the version of Juk that
I am running (just like before)  but the "Help" menu is exactly in the
style of Redhat/Fedora as opposed to KDE.  For example, see my original
screenshots depicting this issue (I have included the context with the
link):

> > > But, as far as what I said in my original email about Juk 2.2.1
> > > saying that it was using KDE 3.4.91, and Juk 2.3 saying that it
> > > was using KDE 3.4.2-1.2.fc3.kde, since your brilliant help has
> > > allowed me to be able to start and run Juk 2.3 from Branch 3.5, I
> > > now have screenshot proof of this oddity (I put them into one jpg
> > > for your convenience, other than that, I have not retouched
> > > them :)): http://www.afolkey2.net/AboutJuk.jpg

Now, look at this new screenshot, take of the output of the "Help |
About Juk" menu choice:
http://www.afolkey2.net/AboutJuk-2.3-NEW.jpg
OOps, actually, I wanted to show you what the "Help" menus look like in
the two different versions of KDE I have installed:
http://www.afolkey2.net/Comparison-RedhatKDEmenu-OfficialKDEmenu.jpg

The point is, it sure looks like Juk is actually convinced that it is
running from with KDE 3.4.2 as opposed to Branch 3.5 (which is what it
was compiled from, and what I am logged into.

Here is a line from our /etc/profile.d/kde.sh:
# Make sure KDEDIR is set
[ -z "$KDEDIRS" ] && KDEDIRS="/usr/local/kde-svn" && export KDEDIRS

The path that I always am logged in as when I build KDE:
export YACC='byacc -d'
QTDIR=/usr/local/qt-src
PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH

KDEDIRS=/usr/local/kde-svn
PATH=$KDEDIRS/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIRS/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export KDEDIRS PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH LIBRARY_PATH

A sample configure line from the script that I use to compile KDE from
Branch 3.5:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/kde-svn --enable-debug=full

Further, here is the appropriate lines from /root/.bash_profile:
export YACC='byacc -d'
QTDIR=/usr/local/qt-src
PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
KDEDIRS=/usr/local/kde-svn
PATH=$KDEDIRS/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIRS/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export KDEDIRS PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH LIBRARY_PATH

I cannot imagine why Juk is so convinced that it is running from inside
of KDE 3.4.2, when the evidence (as I understand it) makes me think
that there should be no "obvious" way that it (Juk) could be confused.

Anyway, I need to go to bed now.

As always, any questions for me on this, let me know and I'll be glad
to help.

Steven P. Ulrick

P.S.: Almost forgot - I have no idea how this problem got started,
because everything just worked for me before, even
before I changed /etc/profile.d/kde.sh to look like it does above,
before I changed KDEDIR to KDEDIRS in my .bash_profile, and before I
even put those export lines into root's bash_profile.  Why is it
rebelling now :)