List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Kleanup
From:       lando <lando () kde-artists ! org>
Date:       2005-08-28 23:21:23

As you may all be aware the desktop background tiles that come default with
KDE are extremely out dated.  We have compiled a list of the tiles that we
are planning to remove below.
---------------------------------
All Good People
Black Marble
Chicken Songs
Circuit
Foggy
Marble
No-ones-laughing
Paper01
Planning And Probing
Time for Lunch
Totally New Product
Won Ton Soup
----------------------------------

We would like to ask if any of you know of any current applications that rely
on any of these tiles?

We will compile a list with updated wallpaper tile sets that better fit the
current look and feel of KDE as a whole. We need your input before we can go
on to the next step.

Lando

> > > No-ones-laughing does not look outdated, is light and is perfect
> > > for the card game.
> > >
> > > Is paper still default (it is on mine) it is as repetitive as the
> > > others listed here, remove that one instead of No-ones-laughing.
> >
> > The original list had been shortened by Stephan Kulow for the sake of
> > clearer communication. I restored the list with its original content.
> > Thank you for drawing my attention to this.
>
> One thing to consider is that some people may be using some of these
> tiles for their desktop background. It would be a shame to surprise
> them by removing them, so maybe they can be moved to a different module
> (maybe even a new one) so they can still be distributed. Of course,
> since they probably won't require much in the way of maintenance, maybe
> they could just be dropped into a tarball on the ftp server (complete
> with any .desktop files relevant).
>
> For example, I use at least three of these on remote desktops I use, to
> significantly reduce the bandwidth and redraw speed. (Circuit, Chicken
> Songs, Marble).

On top I have included the original post in full.  I hope this answers the
concerns you may have. It does appear at this point that No-One's-Laughing (I
would love to know the story behind this name.)is popular and should stay in
the default set. All of the other comments we have received through other
channels agree with this as well.

lando
--
It's my linux box! And no, you can't play in it!