List:       kde-devel
Subject:    arts is Constantly/Repeatedly crashing
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <lists () afolkey2 ! net>
Date:       2005-08-29 1:19:58

Hello, Everyone
This is kind of a problem that I have been having for some time, but it is
never this extreme.  Before I proceed, I am running KDE from Branch 3.5 on
Fedora Core 3.  My installation of KDE is Completely fresh - I did a
completely fresh download of all the modules that I compile, and I completely
removed the directory that I install to.
Earlier this evening, sound was working fine.  I logged out, and logged back
in, and I was greated with the first of many notices that Arts had crashed.
They just kept piling up on screen, so I could not even get focus long enough
to save a backtrace.  I then did what I have always had to do in cases like
this: "ctrl | alt | f1" and then "chmod 444 /usr/local/kde-svn/bin/arts*"  I
then did "alt | f7" to get back into KDE.  As usual, I attempted to close the
error boxes that had piled up (I had about 19 of them) but after I somehow
got them all closed, they started up again.  So I did something that I've
never had to do before: I followed the steps listed above, and I did "chmod
444 /usr/bin/arts*"  When I went back to KDE and closed out the error
windows, they finally stopped.
I have gotten used to setting "/usr/local/kde-svn/bin/arts*" to 755 for the
purpose of compiling KDE, and then having to eventually go back to 444.  I
can't compile with /usr/bin/arts*, but at least I used to get sound with it.
So now I have no sound, and if I set "/usr/local/kde-svn/bin/arts*" to 755,
the errors start again, and KDE is useless.
Now I'm going to go into a non-graphical mode and update, compile and install
arts, kdelibs and kdemultimedia.  Otherwise, I will not be able to use my
system.  Hopefully, the default FC3 KDE will not have this problem.
Otherwise, I'll have to use Gnome until I get this fixed.
If you need any more information, I will be glad to oblige.

Steven P. Ulrick