List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Against the system:/, media:/ and home:/ namespaces
From:       Pavel Troller <patrol () sinus ! cz>
Date:       2005-07-11 17:47:09

Hi!
> Yes, and I mentioned it and autofs and subfs in the paragraph you quoted
> before asking me that question. The problem is that if you ever have tried
> using autofs and supermount before, they simply don't work. Usually,
I don't know anything about supermount and subfs, but I'm regularly using
autofs not only on my own machine but extensively wherever I ever installed
Linux (and there are MANY machines of that kind :-) ). I've found it very
reliable and user-friendly. I have an unmount timeout set to 2 seconds after
last use, which means that users can remove media really almost immediately
after they finished using them and the drive light darkens (after the buffers
are flushed on umount).
  There is a problem somewhere that in the latest 2.6 kernels that CD drives
sometimes tend to ignore their eject button and the CD should be ejected
softwarily, but it's definitely not an autofs problem (the fs is reliably
unmounted).
  So, at my desktop there are icons named "CD ROM", "Diskette", "USB storage"
etc., referencing /mnt/cd, /mnt/fd0, /mnt/usbdisk, which are then handled by
autofs.
                 With regards, Pavel Troller