List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Against the system:/, media:/ and home:/ namespaces
From:       Jonas Widarsson <jonas () widarsson ! com>
Date:       2005-07-11 7:48:40

söndagen den 10 juli 2005 21.13 skrev Szombathelyi György:
> > The problem here is that users expect that going Up from where they
> > clicked goes back to where they were. That's one of the big problems with
> > kio_devices that we are trying hard to solve.
>
> Yes, that's what I wrote that a 'smart' solution needs here. But I think
> that inventing a new naming scheme just because the 'up' button does not
> work a bit of over-engineering.

Isn't this where the concept of a "back" button should be learned?

I was into writing something that looks like KDirStat for windows some years
ago.
Not having the definition of the relations between "This Computer", "Desktop",
"My Documents" completely clear (you know, they differ in reaction to your
locale/language) it was a PITA to support as a programmer.

I would like to raise a loud warning about going where relations between paths
are so virtual that "up" jumps between different locations on different
depths within the real unix path. It is a pain to program for, and I guess
people like it arranged differently as well. So perhaps the KDE devs would
like to allow for *customized relations* as well (!!!).

Now, how fun would it be to discuss bugs in such a system?

It isn't very broke as it is, right?

Please, stick to the back button instead of connecting "Up" from root of a
removable device to something else than just the directory above.

There is one other view on this matter, namely to already be at the top of a
protocol that doesn't have a local unix path representation, e.g.
sftp://hostname/
From there, it is far more logical that "Up" leads to system:/ or whatever
instead of being disabled.

Please don't get too deep into complex virtualities about the filesystem.

Regards,
--
Jonas Widarsson

tel: +46 271 152 00 - tel: +46 271 121 42 (hemma/home) - gsm: +46 70 539 64 79
MSN: jonaswidarsson@hotmail.com ICQ: 72016688 jabber: jonas@widarsson.com