List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Against the system:/, media:/ and home:/ namespaces
From:       Luke Sandell <ls65594 () appstate ! edu>
Date:       2005-07-11 7:46:31

On Monday, July 11, 2005 1:35 am, Carl wrote:
> 2)For older systems with floppy drives, the floppy drive should not appear
> in media:/ at all unless it is mounted.  How you access it is from a
> floppy:/ kioslave.  I think we have one?  Upon KDE install, if the system
> has a floppy drive installed then links to floppy:/ will be placed on the
> desktop, kicker and file dialog navigation bar.  And of course these links
> will appear if hald reports that a usb floppy drive has been inserted.

We have floppy:/, but there are 2 caveats:

1. mtools must be installed
2. It is inconsistent. If we are going to have media:/, users should be able
to access all their media from there.

OK folks I was sort of being sarcastic when I said the thing about
"Windows-style drive letters", but apparently nobody caught on.

On Monday, July 11, 2005 1:05 am, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> media:/ could do its own time-out unmounting, perhaps?

A better idea: only mount the media when saving/loading a file and unmount it
immediately after. Of course, this could cause problems for programs that use
things like mmap, because they have to access the file continuously; but this
could be solved by making a temporary copy of the file (I'm sure that
developers who use mmap are smart enough to do this already). Oh - and
automagic unmounting has the added advantage that it solves the floppy
problem - the media is mounted only while it is being accessed, meaning that
the drive light will be on only when the disk is mounted.

On Monday, July 11, 2005 12:47 am, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Have you ever heard of supermount?

Yes, and I mentioned it and autofs and subfs in the paragraph you quoted
before asking me that question. The problem is that if you ever have tried
using autofs and supermount before, they simply don't work. Usually,
supermount works the first time after you reboot and then thats it. AFAIK, no
one has even tried to port supermount to Linux 2.6 anyway. I have, however,
not tried subfs, but it doesn't come with the kernel so I'm guessing it isn't
stable enough yet. At any rate, even if it did work 1) we would still have to
accomodate users who don't have it installed and 2) automatic mounting is
meant mostly for the desktop, and we don't want to force the user to have it
on the command line, and so we may as well include it in as an integrated
feature of media:/.
--
Luke Sandell
"Actually, Windows doesn't 'just work' either."