List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Default Fonts in KDE
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-07-05 23:09:24

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 04.Jul 2005 - 18:24:09, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Andreas Pakulat wrote:

>>>Nobody should set dpi to anything, except when the XServer cannot compute the
>>>dpi correctly.
>>
>>If the Xserver doesn't know the size of the screen you have to set
>>something.  But that isn't the point.
>

> Setting the Size is a matter of including a correct
>
> DisplaySize
>
> Option

Yes, I have that set: 260 x 195 mm which gives 100 DPI with 1024x768, at
least that is what KInfoCenter says.

>>>For example, I have a laptop display with Size of 332 by 205
>>>centimeters using 1680x1050, which means 130 dpi. With this a 12pt
>>>Font is by far too large, I use 8pt for Fonts which is perfect.
>>
>>If you are using computed resolution, the DPI shouldn't make any difference.
>

> Hmm, what do you mean by computed resolution? I let the XServer
> determine the correct dpi-setting, based on the Resolution and the
> DisplaySize. That way I get 130dpi.

Computed resolution means that the X server computes the resolution
based on the screen size.

>>But, what we need to address is the size of your fonts.  Is there some reason
>>that your fonts are larger for the same size setting, or do you just like
>>smaller fonts.
>

> The fonts here are about the same size as 12pt with 100dpi setting (some
> *dm's set the dpi when starting the XServer).
>
> I don't really get what you mean, 8pt should be the same size (in
> inches) on any display that is setup correctly, that's the purpose of
> the dpi-setting.
>

>>I attach a screenshot to which I have added a magenta line which should be 1
>>inch.
>

> It's 2cm, not 1 inch here.

That is correct.  What you need to do is enlarge it (magnification of
about 130% from what you have said) so that the line is 1 inch long on
your display and see if the fonts are the same size as your system
displays those fonts and/or if they are too large for your taste.

--
JRT