List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Default Fonts in KDE
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-07-05 16:46:48

On 04.Jul 2005 - 18:24:09, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> >>I don't see the fonts as being too big.  Do you have a 1024x768
> >>screen set to 100 DPI?
> >Nobody should set dpi to anything, except when the XServer cannot compute the
> >dpi correctly.
>
> If the Xserver doesn't know the size of the screen you have to set
> something.  But that isn't the point.

Setting the Size is a matter of including a correct

DisplaySize

Option

> >For example, I have a laptop display with Size of 332 by 205
> >centimeters using 1680x1050, which means 130 dpi. With this a 12pt
> >Font is by far too large, I use 8pt for Fonts which is perfect.
>
> If you are using computed resolution, the DPI shouldn't make any difference.

Hmm, what do you mean by computed resolution? I let the XServer
determine the correct dpi-setting, based on the Resolution and the
DisplaySize. That way I get 130dpi.

> But, what we need to address is the size of your fonts.  Is there some reason
> that your fonts are larger for the same size setting, or do you just like
> smaller fonts.

The fonts here are about the same size as 12pt with 100dpi setting (some
*dm's set the dpi when starting the XServer).

I don't really get what you mean, 8pt should be the same size (in
inches) on any display that is setup correctly, that's the purpose of
the dpi-setting.

> I attach a screenshot to which I have added a magenta line which should be 1
> inch.

It's 2cm, not 1 inch here.

Andreas

--
Go to a movie tonight.  Darkness becomes you.